We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams . . .
yet we are the movers and shakers of the world forever, it seems

Monday, December 12, 2011

Generations of Tradition


I am a traditions kind of lady. Just ask my parents, they'll tell you. At 19, I was the one insisting we still hang our stockings on Christmas Eve even though we were on vacation in Arizona and it had been a decade since my last letter to Santa. I love starting new traditions with my little family, and keeping up old traditions as well. Here are some that we do:
1. Driving to look at Christmas lights
2. Holiday goody baking with my sisters
3. Singing carols as we come down the stairs Christmas morning
4. making Christmas crafts of all sorts!




5. Christmas Eve progressive dinner with Mike's family
6 Christmas Day brunch with My family
7.On Christmas morning, we gather the gifts we have to give, and pass them out one by one so we can see everyone's reactions
8. Making poppy seed loaves that are "worth their weight in gold" (quoting Uncle Kimball), for all Mike's employees
9. Making Mother Laura's caramel corn!!!!

Tonight, for family home evening, that's exactly what we did. We had Kristine, Rowan, and Maric over, they brought their air-popper from Mike's childhood, and we made ooey, gooey, sticky, yummy corn! My Grandmother used to make it with my Dad, Pappa Lund, and then he used to make it with me and my brothers and sisters, and now, we are making it with my kids. It's as amazing as I remember.

First you air-pop the corn. This is a novel thing for the kids, and they love it.


Then you butter-up the bowl very well.

You don't use a candy thermometer, you use the old ice-water test, not pictured, and being the grown-up, I got to sample all the caramel tests! Lucy got to do all the fun stuff. She buttered the bowl, and sprayed the counter with Pam, so the corn doesn't stick while it cools. Then you dump it on!

Eat up everybody!



Is your mouth watering yet?
This post was brought to you by the memory of Mother Laura and our love for Pappa Lund!

3 comments:

annebabe said...

Okay you're a blogging fool and I'm loving it! Look at Bonnie go! and as fun as it is to read about your life and see pictures of your cute family, I'm obsessed with your hair and how PERFECT it looks in every picture. seriously. you are MEGA BABE! If we were still roommates and we still had that wipe board, I would write you notes about your fabulous hair every day. :)

Jeremy and Ruth said...

:) I LOVE IT!!! I love Christmas time and I wish you lived closer so we could enjoy it together, ps. I agree with Annie about the hair. :)

LUND said...

This Carmel Popcorn makes me wander down a happy and good tasting memory lane with my mom and then with our kids and now just looking at your family carry on the teeth sticking tradition of carmel corn. We haven't made it for years and will do it this year for memory and taste sake. Thanks for the reminder and warm heart your blog gave me.
DAD == Mother Laura's little boy